Housing Disrepair in Greater Manchester

If you live in a property that is in a state of disrepair, you may be entitled to claim compensation from your landlord. In this article we will look at common reasons for housing disrepair in Greater Manchester, how you can make a housing disrepair claim and what kind of compensation you can expect.

Claim against landlord for housing disrepair

If you’re a tenant living in a poorly maintained rental property in Manchester, you may have grounds to make a claim against your landlord. The landlord has a legal obligation to keep the property in good condition. The landlord is liable for the repair costs.

To make your claim, you need to contact a solicitor who specializes in housing disputes. Generally, compensation is based on the length of time you were in the property and the severity of the disrepair. If you have lived in the property for more than a few months, you can claim compensation even if someone else has been paying the rent.

If you’ve suffered physical or mental illness as a result of living in a disrepair property, you can claim compensation. You can claim for the inconvenience you’ve endured and any financial damages you’ve suffered due to the condition of your property.

Compensation awarded for housing disrepair

If you are a tenant in Manchester who has suffered housing disrepair, you can take legal action to receive compensation. You can file a housing disrepair claim against the landlord or housing association for negligence. You have the right to demand improvement in your living conditions, so you should act quickly.

The time limit for filing a housing disrepair claim is three years. This means that children have three years from the date of their 18th birthday to make a claim. However, if the incident has occurred before the child reaches this age, the parent or legal guardian of the child can file a claim on their behalf.

The government has introduced a new approach to housing disrepair problems in order to ensure the health and safety of tenants. But despite these new changes, tenants can still pursue housing disrepair claims. A specialist solicitor can advise you on what steps to take.

Common causes of housing disrepair in Greater Manchester

The housing ombudsman received around 1,009 complaints between 2016 and 21 from tenants in Greater Manchester about housing disrepair. The most common complaints concerned the condition of the property, complaints handling, and tenant behaviour. Activists in Greater Manchester have warned that the conditions of some properties are so bad that they can lead to structural collapse. Fortunately, there are ways to deal with housing disrepair.

Poorly insulated homes pose a threat to residents of Greater Manchester. More than a quarter of PRS properties in the region do not meet the minimum standard C for Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) ratings. Many tenants are left to pay huge bills for heating. As a result, energy bills are high and landlords are facing an exodus.

Housing disrepair has various causes. These include structural defects, mould and damp, gas or water leaks, vermin or pest infestations, and lack of hot water. These issues can make a home unsafe to live in and can be extremely detrimental to a person’s health.